Tuesday 1 December 2015

Evaluation Question 1 (DRAFT) - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Overview:

My final edit for my my music video is heavily based on the same principles that were used in other music videos within my genre. This is mainly artists such as Coldplay, Muse, Red hot chilli peppers and Arctic Monkeys. From this research I gained an insight into the forms and conventions of what makes this particular genre unique to the rest. This allowed me to incorporate there ideas into my own media product in order to give it a professional look and appeal to it.

Forms and Conventions:

During my research stage I looked at the conventions of what makes a music video successful within it’s genre. I looked in greater detail at Andrew Goodwin's theory of music videos. I feel I have successfully attempted in including what he felt made an excellent music video into my own media product. 

Firstly, he suggested that there could be a relationship between the songs lyrics and the visuals seen in the video. This was seen in my music video as the lyrics of the song talk about a relationship that has fallen apart and the struggle that one half of this relationship can endure. This is linked with the visuals seen in the video as we can see a narrative of someone who is put in a similar situation where their partner leaves them and we see his reaction of emotions to the events as they unfold in front of the viewer.

Next, he suggested there could be a relationship between the music of the song and the visuals seen by the viewer. I again tried to include this aspect in my own music video by adding an element of performance into the video. We see close up shots during the song where there is no singing and the sound of the guitar is more noticeable. 

In addition to this, he also suggested that the video needs to be relevant to the genre of the song. I felt that although I did portray this in some ways for example using music equipment that you would typically find in a rock music video, I felt I could have used other methods to add to this effect. For example, the costume worn by the band when seen in the video at final edit, I felt didn't really reflect that of a proper rock band.

Another point Goodwin made was based on the idea that a music video should contain a narrative or storyline. I also felt this was important when making my music video and felt that the idea within my media product was relevant to that of the lyrics of the song.

Editing:

Other decisions I made were during the editing stage of production. I felt the most important aspect of the video was that the shot length needed to be small and transitions from one shot to the next needed to be smooth and flow as if it were professional. This was achieved by the use of the fade transition on iMovie which allowed me to both slow down and speed up the transition. The speed of the transition was crucial to the editing stage as my aim was to edit on the beat of the song so that I could meet Goodwin’s theory of linking the image with the music of the song. Another choice I made was to do with the colouring of the image. I decided that using a black and white effect on the footage of the singer and the band would match the idea that the singer is sad about loosing someone they cared about. However I left the footage of the narrative in colour to allow the viewer to get a clear distinction between the storyline and the performance of the song. I felt this worked well when viewing at the final edit and allowed the viewer to get a greater understanding the message of the narrative.


Costume:

Costume was an area I felt I could have improved on. To meet Andrew Goodwin’s theory of music videos where by the visuals seen need to match the genre that the song is in. ‘U2’ are seen as a very stylist rock group who fit the stereotype of a rock band wearing leather jackets, sun glasses and black boots. However when viewing my music video we can see that the band performing don't match the common stereotype of a rock group. This in effect meant that the mies-en-scene of the video was effected and hindered the professional feel I was trying to create for the final product.

Camerawork:


Camerawork was also an important factor when it came to the final product and it was important to get a variety of shots to be able to work with in the final edit. During the research stage I found that current music videos that were also within my music genre of rock had a lot of cuts with a variety of angles and shot lengths. I feel that during my production at the start of production I didn't incorporate this into my work but after viewing audience feedback I decided that I needed a greater variety of angles in my video and that I also needed more footage in order to reduce the shot length when it came to the editing stage. This I feel made a huge impact in the quality of the final product and gave it a more professional finish to the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment