Sunday 6 December 2015

Evaluation Q3 (DRAFT) - What have you learned from your audience feedback?

I used many different forms of audience feedback to evaluate my music videos and ancillary texts. These included using a questionnaire/survey where I got the participants who were mostly within my target audience to rate each of the ancillary tasks as well as the final product. I also carried out an interview with a selected few within my target audience. The aim of this was to identify areas of improvement in my products that I didn't see.

From the questionnaire I carried out the majority of participants, around 50% gave my music video a rating of 5 out of 5, with 30% giving a rating out of 4 out of 5, and finally the final 20% giving it a rating of 3 out of 5. I agree with my interviewees and am happy with my final production. I feel the video meets the standard conventions of a music video within the ‘soft’ rock genre, though there are always still ways of making improvements. During the interview I asked my audience to identify how they feel my final video could have been improved. Some of these flaws include some attention to the level of performance in my video. In many ways I can see the meaning of these comments and maybe I could have tried to push the actors out of their comfort zone. The lead singer from the band knew all the words to the song but during performance didn't feel confident singing in front of a small audience. I have learned from this as in the future I would look to either choose an actor who would be more comfortable performing to an audience or try and make the current actor feel more at home and relaxed. Other responses from the survey to improve the video included reducing the length of some of the shots, however my response to this particular criticism is that the song is slow for the genre it’s in and that to edit on the beat some particular shots needed to be extended in length.

In addition to this, in the questionnaire I also asked questions based on my two ancillary products. Firstly my magazine advert, For this I also used an overall rating system. The results were that 30% of the participants gave it a rating of 5 out of 5, whilst 40% gave it a rating of 4 out of 5. Leaving the final 30% of the participants giving it an overall rating of 3 out of 5. Although it was not as strong as my final music video I’m still happy with the feedback I received from this product. I would have to say I agree with the feedback received and have learnt a lot of ideas as to how it could be improved in the future. Some areas that were frequently mentioned from my audience was the scrappiness of the edging around the social media icons in the bottom right corner. I agree with these comments that were made and have learnt that I needed to pay a closer attention to detail when editing the images. I also learnt that little details & mistakes can have a huge difference on the final appearance. Another point that was brought to my attention was that the image given off by the lead singer in the band. Some people I interview weren't persuaded that my lead singer was a so called ‘rock star’. I have learnt from this and if I was to improve in the future I would take into greater consideration the costume of my actors in order for them to fit the roll they are trying to portray.


Next, I also recorded the opinions regarding my digipak and again decided to use an overall rating system to gain a fair reflection on whether it went well and how in the future it could have been improved. The results were that a majority of 40% gave it an overall rating of 3 out of 5, whilst 30% gave it a rating of 4 out of 5 leaving the last 30% of voters scoring it 5 out of 5. I agree with the overall verdict and admit that my digipak has the biggest room for improvement out of the two ancillary tasks. During an interview, I asked my audience how they feel my digipak could be improved in the future. The main concern from the viewers was that there was minimal writing on the digipak and no information on the digipak other than their name and the tracks that were included on the album. I agree with the origin of these comments and have learnt that in the future I need to include more details about the band. I can know see looking back on it that I missed an opportunity to apply Dyers theory of ‘star image’ by not including information about the band in order to sell it to the target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment